This tutorial would also work for the Windows PC as well. Just replace some Mac terms like Terminal with Command Prompt etc...
1. Make sure Java is up-to-date on your Mac. You can click the apple icon on the task bar and click "Software Update".
2. You must download and install the WebOS Quick Install program on your Mac. |WebOS Install|
3. Let the program run and make sure the drivers installed correctly.
4. You want to type the following code into the "type this" portion on your HP Touchpad. upupdowndownleftrightleftrightbastart
5. Press the Developer Mode button. Then press submit and make sure that Developer Mode is set to ON.
6. Now you need to download five files. Go here and scroll to the bottom where it says downloads. Download "ACMEInstaller, Clockwork Recovery, Moboot and Alpha0.6 CM9 for Touchpad. Also, if you want to install Google Apps you can click here to download them as well.
**SAFARI and some other browsers will automatically unzip these files once download. Once they are unzipped you can compress them back but they will lose the correct file names. Which will stop the whole process from working. If your using Safari, just click on the top task bar "Safari>Preferences> and then uncheck open "safe" files after downloading. That way they will no longer unzip automatically and remain the correct file names.
7. Connect your HP Touchpad to your Mac with a USB cable and select use as USB drive. Then find your HP Touchpad under devices and make a new folder called "cminstall". Copy all the items you downloaded to this new folder except ACMEInstaller. Then carefully eject your HP Touchpad without unplugging the Touchpad from your computer.
8. Open up finder and search for "opt" folder. Once you find it click it, open the nova file and finally the bin folder. Copy ACMEInstaller2 to this folder.
9. Now Restart your HP Touchpad by going to Device Info and then press Restart while holding the Up volume. Continue holding the up button til the Touchpad resets and you see an USB icon.
10. Go into your Mac's terminal and enter these commands:
then type, ./novacom boot mem:// < ACMEInstaller2
A whole bunch of code will run on your HP Touchpad. Just be patient for the code to finish even if it appears to have stopped. When your Touchpad reboots you just click boot CyanogenMod to go into Android (Ice Cream Sandwich).
11. Shut down your device and when it reboots scroll down and enter boot ClockworkMod. Then install zip from sdcard. After that choose zip from sdcard. Then under choose zip to apply just go down to cminstall/. Then you want to choose Gapps ICS 4.0.3 11.12.22.zip. Under confirm install you will enter Yes- Install Gapps ICS 4.0.3 11.12.22.zip. After it installs you will click Go Back and then reboot system now.
12.When your system reboots just choose boot CyanogenMod and you will be all set to use Ice Cream Sandwich.
In this build I noticed the camera doesn't work and neither do the voice search application. You also can't play Youtube in the actual browser but you can in the app. I hope you enjoyed this short tutorial with some extra tips from me. I had a lot of help with this by using a tutorial at SimpleHelp.Net.
Something Didn't Work?
Q: I don't have an option to boot CyanogenMod from the boot menu.
A: Make sure you didn't unzip the program files that you downloaded. Also, be sure that the file names aren't altered in any way.
If you have any questions about how to install this OS onto your Touchpad on MACOSX I can try to help you. Just comment below.
Nightly builds of CyanogenMod 9 are available here.